Monday, October 16, 2006

What is the hardest thing about being an MK?

A friend once asked me that question in a letter. Here is what I find to be the most difficult thing about being an MK (an excerpt from my reply):

"As you said, not fitting in anywhere can be difficult. Thankfully, no Christian needs to fit into this world. We are aliens in this world, and we must be a bright and salty influence wherever we are. While it is difficult to be out of place, I believe that the feeling of being a perpetual foreigner is a good one. It helps us to remember that we are foreigners in this world. And as you said, I am glad for the worldwide unity of the family of God. For me, the hardest thing about being an MK is the temptation to pride. In a third-world country I am tempted to be proud because I have more in education and material possessions than others my age. And as a white person, I have a higher social status in most situations and am the possessor of coveted US citizenship. I have to remember “For who makes you different from anyone else. What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?” (1 Cor. 4:7) In America, I am tempted to be proud because I’m a “missionary” and people in churches are so admiring of missionaries, so that I tend to feel that I am someone special. In that case I need 2 Cor. 4:1 – “…through God’s mercy we have this ministry.” I don’t deserve anything good, I only deserved punishment. But God not only saved me but gave me good work to do for Him. My good works don’t make Him indebted to me for my service – they make me indebted to Him for His grace. So humility is my crying need in every situation."

For all the hardships of being an missionary kid - it's a great privelege, for which I must be humbly grateful.

No comments: