Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My Lunch Recipes

While I was packing a lunch this evening, Mother stated that she thought I should keep a journal of all the lunches I make (!) This would be a rather large task, considering my many experimental and never-to-be-exactly-repeated concoctions. But since I spend quite a lot of time preparing my lunches sometimes, I thought I should try to record a few of my favorite recipes. I hope that making lunches for myself will make me better prepared to serve my family in food preparation.

One of my staples is tuna salad. (I have made it probably 20 different ways.) I often have it by alone, or sometimes on Ezekiel bread with canola mayo. Here are a few of my favorite inventions, notated in recipe form for the first time.

Garden Tuna Salad
In a pint-sized container, combine
- 1-2 T oil (I used combination of olive, sunflower, flax...whatever)
- 1 t red wine vinegar
- 1 T white vinegar
- dash of salt
- dash of hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- 2-3 chive 'leaves', finely chopped
- 2-3 sprigs of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 can of tuna, drained
- 1 small carrot grated

Mix thoroughly, cover tightly and refrigerate several hours. (i.e. the night before)

Italian Tuna (or Chicken!) Salad
In a pint-sized container, combine
- 1-2 T. olive oil
- 1 T. red wine vinegar
- 1 clove of fresh garlic, minced
- dash of Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 t. dried oregano
- 1/4 t. onion powder
- a pinch of dry basil, or a few leaves of fresh basil, minced
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh parsley, minced
- dash of black pepper
- 1 can of tuna or chicken, drained, or 6-8 oz. cooked, chopped salted chicken breast
- 1/4 cup diced red pepper, or diced fresh tomato (usually I put red pepper with tuna, tomato with chicken)
- sliced black olives (maybe?)

Mix thoroughly, cover tightly and refrigerate several hours.

Other ideas: I once made a tuna salad with dill that was very interesting. My brother likes his tuna salad with lots of mayo, grated carrot and chopped green olives (to each his own!) Chopped green pepper is a very nice addition to almost any combination, so are any fresh herbs. For extra protein, I've added canned, drained chickpeas, or white beans....It doesn't get boring very quickly! :o) The best part is that this stuff is hearty and nutritious, which gives you more energy to serve the Lord and His people. Happy lunch-making!


No comments: