Thursday, April 18, 2019

Easter Colors


This poem was written out of some womanly musings over Easter dresses and celebrations, reflecting on how we may try to show in bright and fresh attire our joy in the new life of spring and in the resurrection.

Shall I wear red-
Brave color of blood and battle?
Red life was bled of love
and war for me,
Til victory waked the dawn.
Was that dawn red?

Or was it gold -
Bright yellow of bright joy
When sun streaked opening sight
Into the dark and gaping mouth
Of gutted death
And sang into the blue.

Shall I wear blue?
Of sapphire pavement where he sits
Enthroned, my Lord once dead for me,
More vibrant than the cloud-strewn sky
Through which he flew.

I might wear blue
For it is what I have
Enough to walk forth into day
And sing with loved ones
That our loved One lives,
For it is true.

No color shall suffice
To show my joy
That all my love is risen from the dead,
Until beyond rainbow and sunset,
Tree and flower,
In newer life than Spring,
I walk with Him in white.



No comments: