Monday, July 29, 2019

Waiting Summer - A Poem


I've been determinedly reading through the Oxford Book of American Verse - a long project, and one I've questioned as the poets seem to become increasingly disillusioned and corrupt as one advances chronologically through the pages, but it also portrays a mental history of our nation that is enlightening. There are gems in those pages, and also glimpses of hell. When I finished the section of Hart Crane's poems (highly non-recommended) this morning, I felt inspired to write a fresh poem to lift my spirits and remind me that the world is beautiful and good under God. This one is about the hope that summer reflects to me.

Waiting Summer

Green this heavy
I only dreamed,
When east wind rattled the crying twigs
pleading the chill white sky -
How long?
'Til the red life blood of spring
Will make us live,
and robe us with a
weight of glory?

I scarcely dreamed
when the first gold shone
on the waking boughs.
That now was the
beginning of
It won’t be long.


Till the gray wind whistling forest
exhales its sweeter song
Gray skeletons enfleshed
With emerald glory spreading forth
A welcome to the sky

It is so bright,
Above this deep and rustling shade -
a shadow newly sweet
Did we dream of this?
This richness, hotness
of fresh life,
This huge and swaying splendor?

We dreamt and dream again,
That when the last gold splendor fades
and red life falls to the scuttling ground
It will not be the end.

I dream of the green buds’ push
And the cold earth’s groan
That will be the last push
of the last groan
That births the glory home

Summer beyond summer,
Life beyond life-

Joy this heavy
You’ve never dreamed
When the bright King’s sight
Shatters the sighing dust
With the blaze of light,
And bare souls blossom with burnished flesh

Then all the trees of the field
Shall clap their hands
While you go out with
Joy.
- AFB, 2019


No comments: