Thursday, March 3, 2022

Orange With a Stem

     "This one has a stem!"
    He held an orange
    from the grocery store bag,
    swaying, pendulous,
    on its slender bit of tree,
    come stowaway from California 
    on the fruit truck.
    "It's so thin! 
    How does it hold the orange?"

    As so often,
    a response,
    served out at my 
    inconvenience
    to feed a child's 
    insistent mind-hunger,
    answered hunger I'd forgotten
    was mine too -

    "When the orange was small
    the stem held it,
    every day the stem grew strong
    with the orange."
    I answered from the kitchen sink,
    rinsing knives free of soap,
    hands dripping,
    mind kindling,
    Have I grown strong?
    Children are heavy fruit.
 
    When the ripe days come,
    Will I be strong enough to let go? 





1 comment:

Tia (Zirkle) McGowan said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing